Saturday, August 31, 2013

Football Caviar

I've been asked for my recipe for boiled peanuts. I have two variations, indoor and outdoor. 
 
For the indoor recipe you will need at least one crockpot, two pounds (+-) of green peanuts, a fair amount of water, and enough salt. If you have one four quart crockpot you can fit roughly a pound and a half of peanuts in it. If you have a four quart and a two quart, put a pound and a half in the 4qt and a half pound in the 2qt. Cover with water. Turn on high for about an hour then add salt. I use somewhere around 1/2 cup per pound. Stir the salt in and top off water. Turn crocks to low and let them go for about 20-24 hours. Check and continue if they aren't soft enough for you. 
 
For outside, get up before the sun. Break out the turkey frier set up, hook it up and see if it still works (prep night before, you're not going to be awake enough). Dump 2 pounds of peanuts in the pot, fill with water, pour in a half to a whole cup of salt and fire off the burner. Boil until the peanuts sink. That'll be a good many hours. I actually prefer this method when the weather turns cold because I'm weird.

Andrew Elkins

No comments:

Post a Comment